Thursday, July 26, 2007

Tim's first post

Hello everyone, Sarah started our blog, and I'm adding a bit to it today. I'm really not sure what to make of a blog yet. Currently I write very short stories rejoicing in the awful everyday. Silly things that people and animals do, and of course the idiotic things I do. Life never ceases to amaze. A week ago I would have told you that a wave a foot and a half tall on the bay wouldn't excite me. However, after a recent trip out onto the bay during a very choppy afternoon I was getting bounced about by a bunch of waves of waves. Up one, then Slap! back down and up again.

Then, the Godzilla of bay chop. The Empire State water bump. The Hinden-wave, a wave like Texas would do it, the Oprah of waves. I'm not saying Oprah is fat, she's huge....that doesn't sound any better. From the waterline up this wave was a foot and a half tall (I've been told that means it was probably a 'three foot wave') coming right for me. I knew it was a little wave. It wasn't big. But it was big enough that it was over the bow of my kayak.

Paddling hard, I did the only thing one really can in such a dire, serious situation. I raised my paddle over my head with both arms and yelled "WOOOOO" as I went over the wave, and slapped down on the water behind it. The next wave washed right up the boat, aiding my butt's best impression of a raisin from sitting in water so long.

It took me 45 minutes to paddle out against the wind and waves, and 8 minutes to get back in with them.

A foot and a half. WOOOO!

Anyhoo, does anyone think that 'sparking' light sockets are bad? 'Cause some of ours do.

1 comment:

cs white said...

ooohhh, you better be careful what you say about Oprah, boy! You think that little 1 1/2 foot wave did a number on you? Look out!